Sunday, May 4, 2008

How this Year Has Changed Me

This post is inspired by a Facebook note a friend of mine wrote to commemorate the end of her freshman year of college.

I haven't been a freshman for a while, but this year has still been pretty epic.

How I've Changed:
1. I've realized more accurately how I act when I am pushed into leadership situations. I can be fairly heinous. I see this as a character flaw. Working on that.

2. I can throw back Italian moonshine. Who knew? I didn't. However, I'm entirely certain it will never pass my lips again.

3. I'm pretty open to the idea of being pretty open to new ideas about where I'm going in a year and what I'm doing. I feel like last year, I had the next five years of my life planned out so well, and now I'm considering running away to join the circus... or at least going to North Dakota or Singapore or something. I think going to Italy just reinforced my impression that, hey, there' s a lot of the world that I have never seen, and that's just a shame.

And graduate school? Heck, I have no idea. Help.

4. Je suis en train d'apprendre un zillion langues. Pourquoi? Parce que je crois que Dieu ce voudrais... et pour les possibilités de carrière.

5. I have a huge appreciation for sympathetic roommates. I wish my last roommate well, but we were not compatible. This time, however, a couple of geeky language and theatre nerds hit the jackpot. Every time I look at Thesis, I miss you.


How I've Stayed the Same:
1. I still have no appreciation for wine whatsoever.

2. I have the exact same taste in books and movies. Furthermore, I haven't really read or watched many new things; I haven't had the time.

3. I still want to get a doctorate whenever I see the faculty in their funky academic regalia. To be honest, this is one of the things that has contributed most to my confusion about graduate school.
4. I still need to try writing plays that don't suck.

5. I still am not enough like Jesus, on a lot of levels.

6. I still cut my own hair. Only not this summer; I'm growing it out until it drives me crazy. I want to be able to do something fun with it for the show. This may include bribing the makeup/hair designer.

No comments: