Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Stuff That Should Come Back.

It has occurred to me that I am old enough to have been around for some trends that, if they returned, could be considered "retro."

Oh, jeez. Just thinking about that makes me want to get married and pop out babies. For a single woman faced with graduation and life decisions, "retro" is another synonym for "your biological clock is ticking."

(The future of my eggs notwithstanding, I'm also a little cool with being old enough for "retro." It's a new and exciting thing to be old enough for "retro." It means I can be a career woman.)

There are also some things that are returning--jelly shoes, I'm thinking of you--which should not return. Ever.

("Jelly shoes" is a synonym for "kind of ugly things that cause massive amounts of sweat on feet in summer months.")

But anyway, I've thought about it a lot, and I think that "The Secret World of Alex Mack" should return.

Also poised for a resurgence is "The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo."

Basically, what I am saying is "Bring back very formulaic television shows aimed at children that are nevertheless funky and entertaining, and have appealing child actors who will never, you know, do a Hannah."

I say that the shows are funky and entertaining from memory. Maybe, at my now retro-level of age, I might not think so. I'm hoping that I would, but you never know. The sets of spin-off Alex Mack and Shelby Woo novels are still, however, at my local library. I should check them out.

Naaah.

I am also fighting for the return of the WWJD bracelet. In His Steps, not so much. The WWJD phenomenon was commercial, it was big, and it approached tackiness. And it didn't just approach it. It embodied it. There was WWJD everything. But everybody's favorite was the bracelet. Maybe it was because the bracelet was like a buck-fifty and the sterling-silver picture frames, mugs, and closed-toed pumps were not.

Well, I think the bracelet should come back. A Number One, we haven't had a huge Bracelet Trend since Lance Armstrong. A Number Two, the bracelet is appealingly ambiguous. While it can, and most often, means "What Would Jesus Do?" you can substitute any WWJD acronym on days when you have no faith. Once you start with the sterling-silver picture frames and the cassette with Big Tent Revival and Rebecca St. James, it pretty much has to mean "What Would Jesus Do?"

I'm seriously looking for a new bracelet... preferably in a burgundy color, similar to one I think I had in 1997. I'm not sure what color I actually had, but it might have been burgundy.

And finally, Tinkerbell. Now, because she is affiliated with Disney, Inc., Tinkerbell never really left, but I like her anyway and I want to find a pendant with her crazy-pixie image on it, dang it! Girl was SPITFIRE.

And by the way, I still think the book Peter Pan is one of the best books ever written, and certainly the best ever written for children.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray!
Happy to read you love Peter Pan!
I'm happy to tell you that another Pan book is on the way.
This one is different from all the other prequels and sequels because it doesn't contradict Barrie's original stories... actually, it's based on his idea to continue Pan's adventure!
Click on my name for the announcement page.

BELIEVE!

Anonymous said...

Jelly shoes are coming back? Crazy. I remember I wasn't allowed to have them because of the foot problems with which they were associated. I still have my organge WWJD bracelet.