Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Die Religion

...ist das Opium des Volkes.

I've been reading Marx lately, for class. I've been reading German, for class. (And for fun.)

And so this famous quote from Marx is stuck in my head a little.

Which is interesting, because I'm sure that--

"Why, Claire, don't you consider yourself a religious person? Because I certainly do! Why would you even think at length about this one flyaway comment that ol' Karl said?! It seems to be completely against everything you've ever believed in!"

Why, I guess I am a person of faith-- I enjoy talking about it and writing about the phenomenon of religious experience (I mean, obviously.) I like personally experiencing faith. (Most of the time.)

But I think religion can be an opiate. I think that religion, both the major religions and the cultural gods of materialism, etc, can mind-numbingly perpetuate the status quo (which, as Dr. Horrible would say, is not quo.) And I don't want that for my life. I want to be awake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well religion can be mind-numbing and brainwashing like opium, but at least it doesn't have withdrawal symptoms.

You-Know-Who

Justin said...

I just wanted to say that the words 'fun' and 'french' can not exist in the same sentence. Just point out the flaw of your music player.

And your blog is an interesting topic. Sooo you've changed your mind about your goal in life? No translating for you?