Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Mister Rogers, I Want to Be Like You!

Today at Wednesday meeting, Dr. Del Tackett spoke to us via video lecture and he talked about the Final Sphere on the Twelfth Tour and all of these very science-fiction sounding dimensions. But essentially, he talked about community. What stuck out to me was the emphasis on the parable of the good Samaritan.

The parable of the Good Samaritan is one of those few things pretty much everybody can admire about Christianity (even though few people seek to emulate the Samaritan's example). The Good Samaritan story says that anyone can and should be a neighbor to anyone else who needs a neighbor.

OUCH. I do not particularly want to be everyone's neighbor. People sometimes offend me. Not a whole lot, but sometimes. Being a neighbor leaves no room for selfishness. True neighborliness says "My egg yolks are your egg yolks." "I will let you have first pick of the stuff I'm selling at my yard sale tomorrow." "I will let you have first pick of the stuff our rich neighbor is selling at his yard sale." "You can wake me up in the middle of the night when you've just gone into labor and I'll watch your older, whiny kids."

And I wish I could be the ultimate neighbor... that I could give and give and give... even if it's the last of my egg yolks.

I wish I could be Mister Rogers, to say to most of the snot-faced rugrats in America:

I've always wanted to have a neighbor just like you
I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you

So, let's make the most of this beautiful day
Since we're together we might as well say
Would you be mine, could you be mine
Won't you be my neighbor
Won't you please, won't you please
Please won't you be my neighbor.--Won't You Be My Neighbor, the Mister Rogers Song

According to TVGuide, once Mister Rogers' car was stolen from the studio parking lot.
It got on the news and people were naturally outraged.
Hours later, the car was found where it had been stolen, with a note that read...

"If we'd known it was yours, we never would have taken it!"

Of course not. You don't steal your neighbor's car. You're not even
supposed to covet it, for Pete's sake.

Neighbors will be back when the day is new, and they'll have more ideas for you...

I wish I could be a neighbor. I'm waiting for JC Penney to have a sale on cardigans.

No comments: